Saturday, April 11, 2009

My grandmother is 80!
















































We celebrated my grandmother's 80th birthday today.

I love being half Korean, love the Korean family, and love Korean food! It is nice to have my boys be around that part of the family. To realize they have something special, something different. It is amazing that they are her only great-grandchildren. I am the oldest grandchild.

Even though my Halmony (grandmother) and I do not speak the same language I like to think that she knows what I am saying. Tonight we all took a moment to tell her something special. I have no idea what my uncles and other family members were saying to her. They could have been telling jokes for all I know. They all stood, said what they had to say, bow, and maybe gave a hug. When it came time for me to speak I decided to go the more white girl route. I sat down face to face, held her hands, and started to cry. I told her that even though we don't understand one another that she always manages to say "I Love You." I told her that I was sorry for being such a brat when I was a kid and that I always tried to make it up to her by doing a little dance. Funny how kids say sorry in their own way. It was a good moment for me. I have no idea if she had a clue what I said or even why I was saying it. I'm not sure if she new it was her birthday. Oh well.

The family put on a spread of food and entertained with a talent show. A couple of cousins played piano and sang. The whole family sang together.(see the 1 minute 30second video clip) There was even a cousin who wrote a song for grandma that he played on his guitar and sang the lyrics. It was impressive!! (See second video clip)

I had fun. Check out the family singing their hearts out. They are so good!!

xo M






Kyle's song

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Boo Ja rocks!!

Unknown said...

Cute Michele! Your grandma has some stunner shades on! I bet Dan had fun too!

The Park Family said...

wwowow....really a nice song and a nice foods......
ur grandma and my grandma looks alike! haha.... in fact i also have korean relatives staying in US (i think is in LA).....

Anonymous said...

What a very sweet and special day!!! Thanks for posting...
Mis