Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hot outta the oven.


Don't you love the fair? I know a lot of people who prefer to pass on all the fun. Not me. I like seeing the vendors, going on the rides, the animals, people watching, and of course the food. It is sort of a tradition to go to the fair. Sometimes we go twice! It's one of those things my husband and I both grew up doing. He even thought it would be "romantic" to propose at the fair. I know sorta sweet and sour at the same time. Let me repeat...He proposed at the FAIR! Yikes. I don't usually share that.

Anyways. I love scones. I saw this box of "Fair" scone mix at Costco. My lovely client Julie told me she buys boxes at a time because it's so good. Well, I tried it out. It was pretty easy to make. You do have to do a little bit of kneading. That isn't something I do everyday...especially with something made from a box. So the boys and I mixed, kneaded, and cut out the triangle shapes. We got the warm scones outta the oven and loaded them up with home made jam and butter. YuMmy! Mmm, Mmm, good. Nothin' like a warm scone.

The box comes with 4 pouches. You can make a dozen scones from each pouch. All you need is water to mix it and some flour to knead it. You can do a variation by adding some blueberries, cheese, or nuts. The box also has recipes for shortcake and gourmet waffles.

Enjoy!

xo M

PS. I may be blogging for the New Tribune one day during the fair. Fun.

2 comments:

Craving Baby said...

M - thanks for the baby wishes! I totally want to go shopping too... but I"m holding back. Loved your story about the scones. I grew up in a small town with a county fair that was always the highlight of everyone's summer... so I can appreciate the nostalgia for it.

Take Care!

~CravingBaby

Anonymous said...

M-You must have come home from our day of lunch and shopping and added this to your blog...we were just talking about it! I have a box of this scone mix and I love it. It's really nice to have on hand when having stew, chili, or hot soup on a cold night! Nothing like a piping hot scone right out of the oven! You're so funny...and a great food photographer! Mis